Ikigai: Exploring The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life
Pronounced ‘ick-e-guy’, Ikigai is the Japanese notion of finding your reason to peel back your duvet and leap out of bed in the morning. With millions of people already feeling its benefits, ikigai can help you discover your passions and unlock happiness – and soon there’ll be no more snoozing that alarm.
“Your ikigai is at the intersection of what you are good at and what you love doing,” says Hector Garcia, the co-author of Ikigai: The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life. He writes,“Just as humans have lusted after objects and money since the dawn of time, other humans have felt dissatisfaction at the relentless pursuit of money and fame and have instead focused on something bigger than their own material wealth.”
Garcia lists 10 rules to live by, which encourage you to follow your passion and slow down:
- Stay active and don’t retire
- Leave urgency behind and adopt a slower pace of life
- Only eat until you are 80 per cent full
- Surround yourself with good friends
- Get in shape through daily, gentle exercise
- Smile and acknowledge people around you
- Reconnect with nature
- Give thanks to anything that brightens our day and makes us feel alive.
- Live in the moment
- Follow your ikigai
Dream Droplet Gem Earrings
Eloise Merino Sweater
Eyes For Kavesi
Like what you see? Subscribe to our newsletter. If you’ve enjoyed our feature on ‘ikigai’, you might also enjoy reading Forest Bathing: The Japanese Art of Being Outdoors and Five Positive Things To Do This Weekend.